What is a convection oven?
A commercial convection oven is a free-standing unit that uses an internal wall-mounted fan to distribute hot air around the interior chamber. This method of heating reduces cooking times as it eliminates any cold air bubbles surrounding food items. And unlike conventional ovens, large batch recipes cook more evenly throughout, due to the efficient heat distribution.
This efficient piece of equipment has proven to be an indispensable appliance for many commercial kitchens including bakeries and high-volume catering operations. Models are available in half or full sizes with single or double deck designs.
Is a convection oven right for me?
It’s important to choose the right tool for the job. You should consider a convection oven if:
- Cooking large batch recipes will save you time
- You want consistent results between batches
- You need the storage space created by a convection ovens’ stackable options and storage cabinets
- Pre-programmed cook times would help keep your kitchen running on schedule
- You and your customers value the aesthetics of perfectly baked bread, pastries, and roasts
Units are available with gas or electric configurations to provide convenience, speed and improved quality of large batch recipes. If you need versatility and ease of use, a convection oven can expand your menu while cutting down cook time and enhancing product consistency.
What Will a Commercial Convection Oven Provide for Your Restaurant?
Commercial convection ovens provide precise cook times with predictable results. These units are incredibly user-friendly and can handle jobs big and small.
- Line cooks are able to re-therm refrigerated products or keep finished menu items warm until plated.
- Bakers and pastry chefs accomplish faster bake times for pastries and breads while improving the overall quality of a complete batch from start to finish.
- Caterers utilize the commercial convection oven’s ability to turn out large amounts of baked or roasted food in short periods of time.
- Chefs can perfect slow-roasting meats overnight and wait-staff can load and unload sheets of fresh and hot dinner rolls for service.
- Available in a variety of sizes, commercial convection ovens can fit in spaces large and small to meet your kitchen requirements.
How Convection Ovens Work
Convection ovens use a fan mounted in the oven wall, forcing the heated air in the cavity to move around. The forced air pushes aside the bubble of colder air that surrounds the food item, reducing the cooking time. More even cooking is achieved by the constant current of heated air around all sides of the food. And unlike conventional ovens, multiple food items cook evenly in convection ovens due to the fan’s removal of hot and cold spots.
Advantages of Convection Cooking
- Food cooks up to 25% faster
- Up to 30% reduction in temperatures
- Saves energy
- Increases food production
- Even heat distribution, eliminating hot and cold spots
- Cooks multiple food items evenly
Cooking Results of Convection Ovens
Convection ovens produce superior cooking results in all foods with its fast, even cooking. The removal of hot and cold spots and the insulating layer of air around the food mean better taste for baked goods, poultry, vegetables, and red meats.
- The butter in baked goods loses its moisture faster, becoming flakier and crisper.
- Poultry renders its fat quickly to produce a well browned skin while sealing the juices in.
- Vegetables rapidly caramelize for crisp outsides and moist, flavorful insides.
- Browning happens quickly for red meats, sealing in the juices.
Lets get cookin’
Here at BCL Restaurant Supply, we offer the largest selection of pre-owned restaurant equipment, supplies, and furnishings in the Midwest! Our pre-owned equipment experts are on hand to assist and consult you throughout the entire purchasing process.
For more information on BCL Restaurant Supply and what we have to offer, feel free to stop by our 60,000 square foot showroom or drop us a line at 618.274.4112 or email@example.com.